Website CO West Transportation
Mechanics often perform labor, such as vehicle maintenance or product manufacturing, alongside a team.
CO West Transportation is hiring for the following location: Gunnison, CO
STATUS: Non-Exempt (Full or Part Time)
Salary: $26.63 per hour – $28.10 per hour depending on experience
Works directly under the supervision of the Chief Mechanic. Often performs labor, such as vehicle
maintenance or product manufacturing, alongside a team.
Receives general supervision from the Chief Mechanic.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Deals directly with contracts and helps with the completion of work orders
○ This may include TEX, SMART, Bustang and other contract vehicles
○ This may include AEX, RTA and Bustang
2. Performs minor repairs on Diesel vehicles
○ Performs regular diagnostic tests on Diesel vehicles
3. Maintains shop’s equipment, electric and air-powered tools
1. Torches, grinder and presses
4. Equipment maintenance might involve equipment inspection for damage or wear and cleaning
and repair, as needed
5. Notify Shop Foreman if new equipment/supplies are needed.
○ This includes all fleet fluids, oils, coolant, additives, etc.
6. Performs maintenance and safety aspects of all fleet and government vehicles
7. Ensures all repairs and inspections are made to FMCSA standards
8. May be on call during weekend hours
○ Hours include weekdays, weekends, and Holidays.
9. Early morning snow removal
10. Assists in maintaining certifications related to vehicle repair that is required by the company
11. Maintains a clean and safe work environment
12. Other duties as assigned by management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions.
1. High School diploma, completion of G.E.D., or equivalent Requires at least two years of
related work experience.
a. ASE Diesel Certification is preferred, or relative experience.
2. Work requires advanced computer literacy skills and keyboard proficiency to operate in
multiple windows and manipulate files.
3. Strong organizational skills to effectively communicate with all levels of management and
4. Highly self-motivated and directed.
5. Familiar with heavy duty diesel diagnostic software including Insight 7, J-Pro and similar
6. Be able to effectively and efficiently diagnose uncommon issues based on various and
7. Able to work alone with great proficiency
8. Able to log all repairs with accurate descriptions and details.
9. Must be available for occasional on-call (365 days a year) issues that may require either
remotely working or being called into the shop.
10. Must be willing to travel to Crested Butte, surrounding area or locations along designated
routes for remote repair.
11. Have knowledge in body work and repair as well as finishing work.
12. Knowledge with basic welding and welding set up (mig welding)
13. 5 years experience with diesel engine diagnosis and repair including Detroit,CAT and Cummins
engines in confined spaces with little to no room (Large busses)
14. Must have good experience with air brakes/pneumatics.
15. Must have good experience with brake/hub repair on large buses.
16. Must be able to safely work with tools provided including lifting/jacking and stabilizing up to
17. Must have an excellent ambition to work, Work very well with others and be able to
communicate all events and repairs that take place.
18. Must be willing to ask for help in any situation for the sake of safety and well being.
19. An optimistic attitude and work ethic are a huge plus.
20. Most importantly you must have an extreme willingness to learn.
Drug & Alcohol Abuse Policy
We value our employees and drivers and recognize each person’s need for a safe and healthy work
environment. We are committed to maintaining a safe environment for our drivers and customers that
is free from illegal drug use and misuse of alcohol. We will comply with the requirements for testing
of the U.S. Department of Transportation and other Federal and State laws and regulations. We,
therefore, forbid the unlawful use or possession of alcohol and controlled substances.
To apply for this job please visit forms.gle.